Elder Abuse Bytes E-Newsletter - Fall Edition
Published: Wed, 10/31/18
Elder Abuse Bytes E-Newsletter
As we approach the season of gratitude, the NCEA is pleased to share its bounty of activities. In an exciting first year marked by productivity and innovation, we are continuing to raise elder abuse awareness and promote elder justice principles through our involvement in local and national presentations, participation at numerous conferences, and vibrant social media engagement. Drawing upon the expertise of our advisory board members and valued partnerships with subcontractors and community supporters, we have produced a diverse array of resources and training materials. With appreciation for the privilege to serve older adults, professionals, and the public, the NCEA presents its latest developments to you.
The NCEA made a showing at many national conferences and meetings over the summer and well into the fall season. Members from the NCEA attended the National Association of Area Agencies on Aging (n4a) conference in Chicago, IL, National Organization for Victim Assistance (NOVA) conference in Jacksonville, FL, National Adult Protective Services Association (NAPSA) conference in Anaheim, CA, National Organization for Victim Assistance (NOVA) conference in Jacksonville, FL, National Indian Council On Aging biennial conference in Temecula, CA, Grantmakers In Aging annual conference in Memphis, TN, and Consumer Voice annual conference in Alexandria, VA. Not only did we recommend a wide variety of resources and online websites, but we also provided expert technical assistance to attendees.
A Sampling of Our Recently Released Resources
We’ve been at work with our partners from Ageless Alliance, the Consumer Voice, the National Resource Center on LGBT Aging, and National Adult Protective Services Association and have launched a new collection of resources that we encourage you to share widely with your
- The latest Elder Justice Policy Highlights report summarizing significant elder justice legislation in the field;
- An issue brief on Sexual Abuse in Nursing Homes indicating signs and symptoms of abuse, and where to turn to for help;
- Fact sheets that provide tips on supporting, promoting justice and preserving the rights of LGBT older people;
- Adult Protective Services briefs providing an overview of APS programs, reporting and investigation procedures, and insights on intervention collaboration; and
- An annual research compilation citing elder abuse, neglect and exploitation research that was published during the 2017-2018 calendar year.
Please print and circulate copies, and reach out to us if you would like to request printed copies.
Have Training Needs?
We’ve added 42 NEW modules of training curricula for you to access through our training repository.
Have a particular training interest, or are you looking to share new training materials that you have recently created? Please contact us.
Elder abuse is one of the fastest growing crimes in the United States. EAGLE helps in effective identification, investigation, intervention and resolution of elder abuse cases brought to the attention of law enforcement. It is not only a guide for officers, but also can be a useful tool for any aging professional. Take a look at some of the resources that guide users on how to recognize abusers, make community resource referral, and look up more information regarding state statutes, and mandated reporting laws.
Upcoming Webinar on Elder Abuse and Financial ExploitationJoin the NCEA and our partners for a special webinar on Elder Abuse and Financial Exploitation Resources available to law enforcement, rural and tribal communities. The webinar will be held on Thursday, November 8, 2018 from 11:00am – 12:30 pm PT. Complete your registration here today!
Our Blogs Have Moved
The NCEA blog site is now located on the USC Center on Elder Mistreatment website. Here are the topics that have been featured since our last e-newsletter:
- Missouri’s APS Response to the Opioid Crisis
- Turning Voices into Action Against Elder Abuse: The Power of Sharing Your Story
- Celebrating Domestic Violence Awareness Month
- Animal Cruelty and Interpersonal Violence: Making the Connection
- The Changing Landscape of Elder Abuse Prosecutions: A 22-Year Journey