Adopt a wounded Warrior
or a wounded Warrior and their Military Family
this CHRISTMAS season!
What a tough year it has been. We hope you are all staying safe and healthy!
Our Christmas Wish program starts today. It's that time of year when we start accepting applications from our fabulous Community Families wanting to adopt an individual wounded Warriors and/or their Military Families for Christmas!
We will begin matching families to adopt in mid November and continue through mid December 2020.
- As usual, we match on a first come first serve basis.
- You may choose the size of the Warrior or Military Family to adopt and you may adopt more than one Warrior or Military Family.
- If you do plan to adopt more than one family, we do ask that you complete a form for each family you wish to adopt this year.
Each year we match over 100 military individuals and families! Please be aware that the number of Warriors and Military Families that are in the adoption pool can fluctuate, so there may not always be an individual Warrior or a Military Family available at the time you submit your
application. Please be patient it will happen. We also cannot guarantee matches for a Community Family's specific city or county.
Please keep in mind that we sometimes match families from a couple of units that have experienced stress due to multiple deployments. We ask that you are sensitive to this when making contact or arrangements with your Warrior or Military Family.
Many people who adopt Wounded Warriors, including my own family, are humbled by what our wounded Warriors have sacrificed for our safety and freedom. Giving back at Christmas time is only a small token of our gratitude. For some, the experience results in lifelong relationships that include "new friends" sharing a
meal, attending an event together, or checking in on their progress during the year. We leave the decision up to those involved to determine what they might want to do after the Christmas holiday has ended.
More information about how to adopt: Community Families (individuals and groups: church organizations, businesses, etc.) can sign up online on Heartbeat's website under the Christmas tab. The Warrior or Military Family also fills out an online application; then we match the two.
- Please see suggested minimum expenditures per person these minimums must be followed.
- Please wrap presents and include a card, then set up a meeting that is comfortable for the Warrior or Military Family to deliver the gifts.
- Please be sensitive that some Warriors are just not comfortable in traffic or in crowded areas because of their injuries. Meeting in the visitor's parking lot of JBLM (Joint Base Lewis McChord) is often a good option, if your Warrior or Military Family is in that area. You do not need a pass to meet in the visitor's parking area.
- Generally, going to the Warrior or Military Family's home is not a good option unless the family specifically asks you.
Please read through all the instructions before submitting your form.
Finally, we are still collecting donations and cards for our Christmas Give-a-Gift Card Program through December 10th. Click below if you are interested in donating or have a group, church, or organization that might want to get involved!
Please consider sending us a write-up and some photos of your experience this year! We love to hear about your experiences with the program and we love to get pictures to include in our Christmas newsletter!
As always on behalf of our brave men and women wounded Warriors and their families, THANK YOU! WE ARE GRATEFUL FOR YOUR GENEROSITY!
Communications Manager, Heartbeat Serving Wounded Warriors®
"At Heartbeat, we provide emergency assistance, morale building, and innovative therapeutic services for wounded warriors and their families"
"The cause is great and the need is worthy"