Here's your Night Sky Newsletter for August 2022.
1. Bright planets in the early morning sky, Saturn and opposition, and the Perseid meteor shower peaks. Here's what to see in the Night Sky This Month
2. For your sky tour this month, here's my most recent article in Sky & Telescope magazine that looks at a little asterism in the constellation Ophiuchus, no bigger than your hand held at arm's length, that contains a bounty of
deep-sky objects for binoculars or a telescope. Read the entire article at this link.
3. How stargazing can make you a better person.
4. And zowie (!)... the James Webb Space Telescope is now fully operational and delivering beyond expectations. Here's why the JWST is important, and how it shows us the power and beauty of
5. Marina Koren looks at the coziest spot on the Moon.
And the astronomy quote of the month:
"Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up.” - Stephen Hawking
Please share this email with anyone who may be interested. If you're not already a subscriber to Cosmic Pursuits, you can sign up here.
Wishing you clear skies!