Bike to Work Day is celebrated nationally on the third Friday in May as a way to promote and recognize options to encourage bicycle use for transportation
purposes, especially for the commute to work. It also is a way to promote awareness of the benefits of bicycling and bike safety. This year, Bike to Work Day is Friday, May 19, 2023, but the month of May generally is recognized as Bike Month.
The Maryland Department of Transportation (MDOT) sponsors and promotes Bike Month and Bike to Work Day events and resources
statewide. Registration is open now for Bike to Work Day events around the Washington D.C. and Baltimore regions. Follow other Bike Month events taking place across the state on MDOT's newly launched Commuter Choice Maryland Events webpage.
Ways to Celebrate Bike to Work Day
- Work with your local bike shop to host a bike tune-up clinic.
- Hold a bike commuter
- Host a Bike to Work Day breakfast.
- Plan a group ride with co-workers, friends, or family. Remember to use incenTrip to log your bike commute to earn points and rewards!
- Promote bike safety for bike commuters and leisure riders.
- Get to know your local bikeshare system.
- Install bike parking, fix-it stations, or other
- Launch bike commuter benefits within your organization.
Need help starting or promoting your bike commuter program? Commuter Choice Maryland offers free assistance and resources to all employers across
the state – just email [email protected] or complete our Employer Partner form to get the conversation started.