Daylight savings time means that the days are getting shorter and the commutes darker. When commuting after dark, safety must be the number one priority for motorists, bicyclists, and pedestrians. Commuting in the dark can be stressful, but don't fret! Commuter Choice Maryland has tips that will help ensure a safe commute when driving this winter.
- Plan ahead - Utilize technology to find the most direct, secure, and well-lit route.
- Stay focused - It is harder to see at night, especially in inclement weather, so avoid distractions and keep your eyes peeled for other vehicles, bicyclists, and pedestrians.
- Check headlights - Headlights, even in brand-new cars are sometimes uneven or pointed lower than necessary; therefore, it is worth the effort to consult with a professional who can aim them correctly.
Biking or walking to work is a great way to stay active and healthy during the cold, winter months. Of course, with winter comes longer hours of darkness, which begs the question: is it safe to bike or walk at night? The answer is “yes!” These tips will help you stay safe and confident during your active commute.
- Always use front and rear bicycle lights. Lights help you to see and be seen.
- Double check your tire pressure. Having tires inflated at or slightly below the recommended pounds per square inch (PSI) will increase traction during wet or icy conditions.
- Be sure to adjust your bike helmet fitting if wearing a hat or other insulation underneath.
- Use crosswalks when crossing the street; however, maintain caution and look both ways before crossing as it is harder to see and be seen in the dark.
Yakabod is a software development company that recently made the move to downtown Federick, Maryland. In order to recruit and retain top talent, Yakabod executives began offering their employees bicycles and bicycle amenities.
"We make software that helps people collaborate, so it didn't make sense to us to be in a suburban office park somewhere... we wanted to make it easier for our employees to explore the city, so we bought bikes."
- CEO Scott Ryster
To learn more about Yakabod and read the full story click here!
Find Commuter Choice Maryland on the Web & Social Media
Commuter Choice Maryland is excited to announce its brand new Facebook page, helping commuters stay up-to-date on current transportation news and activities throughout Maryland, including fun commuting tips and programs, such as the Maryland Commuter Tax Credit. Please visit our page and give it a “like” at: http://bit.ly/2SdADxi
More exciting news… Commuter Choice Maryland has updated our website. Keep an eye out for a brand new design, making it easier to navigate and find what you are looking for, all while maintaining the resources, information, and toolkits that help you commute better and save money! Visit our new website at: www.commuterchoicemaryland.com
Commuter Choice Maryland can also be found on LinkedIn, where we connect with businesses to help them implement commuter benefits and save money. It is a great platform to keep up-to-date on events Commuter Choice Maryland representatives will be attending or exhibiting. Connect with us today at: https://www.linkedin.com/in/commuterchoicemd
Transportation Tips: Commuting During Inclement Weather
- Allow extra time to get to your destination.
- Use caution on overpasses, bridges, and ramps as they freeze first.
- If your car skids on icy roads, take your foot off the gas, don't slam on the brakes, stay calm, and turn into the direction your car is skidding.
- Whether you are driving or biking, check tire pressure and tread to avoid slick road conditions.
Stay Off the Road
- Avoid driving and opt for transit options like the bus or train.
- Consider teleworking to avoid the stress of driving in poor road conditions.
Rideshare Coordinator Spotlight:
Tammy Walters, Baltimore City
Tammy Walters works at the Baltimore City Department of Transportation as a Rideshare and Marketing Coordinator and is a Commuter Choice Maryland partner.
Gladys Hurwitz, with Commuter Choice Maryland, had the pleasure of interviewing Tammy about her experience working with businesses and commuters, her top commuter tips, what her roles and program entails, struggles she has faced, and what she loves about working with Commuter Choice Maryland.
To get in touch with Tammy and to learn more about how she can help you, see her contact information below.
To read the full interview with Tammy, click here
Commuter Choice Maryland hosts FREE quarterly webinars! Our next webinar will be held on Wednesday, January 22nd at 11 am and will focus on how to save money in 2020 by offering commuter benefits and take advantage of the Maryland Commuter Tax Credit! If you cannot attend the live webinar, please check out our website as we post all previous webinars!
Previous webinar topics include: implementing teleworking and vanpools; business benefits of bike and walk friendly workplaces; employee commute options when planning a relocation; and commuter benefits.
To learn more about resources and tools that might work for you and/or your business and to register for our upcoming webinar, please visit our website by clicking the button below.
Businesses Save Big in 2020 Webinar: Commuter Choice Maryland will host a webinar on saving money in 2020! To register, visit: www.commuterchoicemaryland.com.
Baltimore Auto Show: Commuter Choice Maryland will be in attendance to promote commuting options.
Harford County's Small and Minority Business Resource Day: Commuter Choice Maryland will be providing business owners with the tools and resources to implement commuter benefits and save money.
Events are always being added. Please visit our website to keep up-to-date on current happenings!
For more information on Commuter Choice Maryland, please contact us at 410-865-1100 or email [email protected]
. Representatives are available to assist Monday—Friday, 8:30am—5:00pm. Visit our website at: www.commuterchoicemaryland.com
Stay connected through Facebook & LinkedIn