My day had an early and ...interesting... start. As you may know, at the beginning of this year, John's teleworking came to an end, and he's been back to the old routine of a long commute.(About 65 miles each way.) What I don't think I've ever mentioned is the type of commute it is.
Most of the way is state highways through very, very rural areas, with lots of curves and wooded and kudzu-covered areas. In other words, prime areas for hitting deer on the highway.
Surprisingly in all the years he's worked there, he's only ever once just barely grazed a deer, resulting in damage, but not major damage. He's had a couple of other small things happen, but has never had a vehicle put out of commission. Until today.
We JUST got the title in the mail on Saturday from paying the car off, and hadn't planned to replace it any time soon. At this point, we don't know if it's reparable or if it's going to be considered totaled by insurance. We just have to wait and see. If it's totaled, then we pivot. We make a new plan.
Life is like that. Sometimes you think you know what you're going to do and then something happens that forces you to recalibrate and chart a new course. We have lots to be grateful for though, including the huge fact that he was not hurt (hitting a deer can have deadly results in lots of cases!)
But also, the car was drivable, so he was able to get back home and not be stranded out in the middle of kudzu country.
I've learned to pivot much better these days, in large part due to all of the introspection I've done over the last few years. Once upon a time, I was prone to obsessing over details and stressing over not knowing what was going to happen next. I've learned to cope much better.
By the way, what I had MEANT to tell you today is that tomorrow is the last day for the KidLit Creators 2.0 bundle deal. There are tons of very valuable resources in this bundle, and if children's books are on your
radar to do, then this is worth checking out.
It will help you to see that quality children's books are easier than you might think, and will also help you to avoid costly mistakes when it comes to publishing and illustration options.
KidLit Creators 2.0 is a huge collection of KidLit resources from leading KidLit authors, editors, and publishers who share their best strategies, tools and tips to help you plan, write and publish your
kids' book with total confidence.
This bundle will help you:
- Access a step-by-step blueprint to take to your children’s book from first draft to publication (plus sales).
- Grow your reach, readership, and royalties with more ease and less stress than ever before.
- Uncover the unique narrative elements Middle Grade readers are hungry for and how to write them.
- Prepare your best pitch to agents and publishers with insider tips from industry leaders.
- Discover the #1 strategy to hire a talented illustrator for your kids book (even if you’re on a budget).
- Learn how to reach more readers and grow your author brand and profile by writing for kids' magazines.
- Create a beautiful illustrated picture book within your budget.
Here's a (short) list of what you'll get in this bundle offer:
- Writing for the Educational Market eCourse
- Stellar Self-Publishing for Picture Books eCourse
- Writing for Children's Magazines Masterclass
- Stunning Book Illustrations Masterclass
- Ideas of Impact for Children's Books
- Intro to Self-Publishing a Children's Book (perfect for new authors and publishers)
- Mastering the Elements of Middle Grade Fiction eCourse
- Master the ART of Writing Children's Books
- Picture Book Creation Masterclass
- KidLit Reference Sheet Mega Stack (25 clever writing and publishing cheat sheets)
- How To Get Stunning Book Illustrations That Tell Your Story For Less
- How to Identify Your Niche Audience as a KidLit Author Masterclass
- Setting Achievable Author Goals Masterclass
- Lazy Social Media Marketing MAGIC Training Program For KidLit Authors
- 3-Months Access to Painting Watercolor Illustrations Workshops With Multiple Award-Winning Author and Illustrator Mark Mitchell.
- 50% Discount On A COMPLETE Children’s Book Publishing Package, including editing, cover design, illustrations, formatting and more.
- 66% Discount On A Picture Book Manuscript Assessment Plus Bonus Course.
- Free First Hour's Edit With Jackie's Rhyming Manuscript Editing Service.
- And more...
If you miss this, of course you won't miss your opportunity to write and publish books for children. You can still do that. But you may have to pivot when it comes to gaining the knowledge and skills you need.