This is a long Newsletter so I'll not ramble on... Over on Mixing Light we've released a brand new training title:
The DaVinci Resolve 14 QuickStart Tutorial Course
This 5.5 hour quickstart has its own 90 minute quickstart that has you touching every part of the interface... for a fast, but comprehensive and organized look at working in DaVinci Resolve.
The PDF course guide can be downloaded from here, with a summary of every movie in this
And it's free.
This isn't a stripped-down no-frills course. It contains downloadable project files, media, and tutorials. In other words, it's exactly the sort of training you'd normally pay for.
But at Mixing Light we decided it was time to give the internet
a comprehensive tutorial series to on-board newcomers to DaVinci Resolve, reliably and from a trust-worthy source; because we don't want them hunting through gobs of questionable tutorials scattered across the intertubes. And because the software is too deep to teach in one 20 minute video.
So next time someone asks you where they can find a good free tutorial series for learning DaVinci Resolve 14, just give them this URL:
DaVinci Resolve 14
QuickStart Tutorial Course
Enjoy this week's Newsletter. We'll see you next week.
- You can’t correctly remember an iconic color, not even Coca-Cola red - "The six variations had a Delta E 76 up to 21, a color deviation that would not be acceptable in print. So let’s take a look at the results." (insights4print.ceo)
- [podcast] Are
Editors Introverts? - "Terence and Philip discuss introversion and why introverts make good editors." And colorists too? (theterenceandphilipshow.com)
- How does 'Cinematographer' and "Director of Photography' differ? - "What is a cinematographer / director of photography? Which term is used more widely? Do cinematographers play well with other cinematographers?" Interesting questions with interesting answers. (stephenfollows.com)
- FCPX Color Wheels Take 2 - "With the release of FCPX 10.4.1... Apple engineers have changed the way the color wheels tool behaves." Oliver Peters has updated his earlier review. (digitalfilms.wordpress.com)
- [video] How to Precisely Match Colors in Photoshop - usng LAB color
mode along with curves to get your colors to match precisely. (youtube.com)
- [video] Baselight 5.1 - at NAB 2018 FilmLight's Peter Postma talked about the new Baselight 5.1, used on Black Panther at Technicolor. Topics covered include Baselight's new
productivity features like Boost Range. (youtube.com)
- Get To Know DaVinci Resolve 15’s Super Scale Feature - increasing the size of low rez images sucks. But in Resolve 15 "the Super Scale tool is different. It uses an advanced
algorithm that improves image detail upon enlarging." Read on. (premiumbeat.com)
- Pond5's Stock
Footage App for Final Cut Pro X - "enabling you to edit with watermarked previews and then automatically replace the media on the timeline with high resolution footage." (fcp.co)
- Updates to Final Cut Pro X 10.4.1, Motion 5.4.1 and Compressor 4.4.1 - in case you missed the news, "Some of the new features: Closed Captions, ProRes RAW, Enhanced export, and
debuts Watch Folders - "it offers an entirely new way to upload files from your desktop to Frame.io." (provideocoalition.com)
- How to keep Windows 10 organized, Pretty, and Productive - "windows can get messy. It's not (always) the operating system's fault." (lifehacker.com)
- [video] Master Fusion: Merge vs Boolean Node - better known as ConFusion to Fusion users - the opening to this tutorial could put this in the Fun(nies) section. Or, if you hate people, just jump to 1:38. Be warned - it takes a while to get to that boolean node. (youtube.com)
- Watch the NAB debut of ProRes RAW with Atomos - on the Faster Together stage. (fcp.co)
- The New Features of DaVinci Resolve 15's Edit Page - an article rounding up the major new features. (premiumbeat.com)
S P O N S O R E D M E S S A G E
Now with full 4k
Perfect end titles.
A week of your life back.
the dedicated tool for making end credits
without losing your mind.
More than 1,000 productions have used us so far -- from tiny Kickstarters
to $100m studio tentpoles.
(And Best Pic winner Moonlight.)
Learn More at ENDCRAWL.com
- Tax Tips For Freelance Creatives: Debunking Common Myths - "If you can shore up the money part of your business, you can spend more time doing what really love - the creative part of the job." (99u.adobe.com)
- Paramount Pictures CEO Says Struggling Studio Is 'Poised For A Renaissance' - after a long period of flops, "the studio finally has a much-needed hit." Which hit is that? The first movie where your Publisher thinks the gimmicky 'rumble seats' in Dolby Cinema installations was actually
effective and immersive. (latimes.com)
- NAB 2018: The real story is HDR - "We need it because our audiences demand it. And they demand it because they can see instantly, in the most dramatic way, the improvement in picture quality over artifact-ridden, blown-out 8-bit SDR."
- NAB 2018: ETC Keynote on the Audience Genomics Revolution - "the changing economics of media audiences require new measurement methods and metrics." (etcentric.org)
- Samsung launches first U.S. LED Cinema Screen - along with a post production facility. "Of course, in LA. These are important milestones for Samsung."
- Netflix considers Movie Chain Buy, Passes on Landmark deal - "But the search for a theater chain is likely not over since Netflix, despite its growing success, still struggles to
find theatrical distribution." (etcentric.org)
- [video] Death to the green screen? ARwall promises big things - "this piece delves into the inception, development process, and shows the production test footage of the first ever real-time, in-camera, real-light, real-lens, perspective-adapting,
mixed-reality, rear-screen, compositing technique." Whew! (jnack.com via David Bell)
The stories featured in this section are from MixingLight.com, companion color correction membership website to TaoOfColor.com and paid sponsor of this Newsletter. Want to read a story listed here but not a member? Sign up for a free 7-Day Test Drive.
- [podcast] LG 2018 OLEDs & Talking Calibration With Tyler Pruitt - "Spectracal Technical Evangelist Tyler Pruitt joins Robbie to discuss LG's 2018 OLED monitors and various calibration issues like metamerism, colorimeter matrices and more!" (mixinglight.com )
- [video] An Introduction (for colorists) to Fusion in DaVinci Resolve 15 - While Fusion is a node-based compositor, its node tree is very different than the Color Page. Learn how to
use Fusion in DaVinci Resolve 15 in under 15 minutes. (mixinglight.com)
- British Arrows Best Colorist Nominations 2018 - Dan Moran shares his thoughts on the best commercial color grade nominations 2018. Top work
from excellent colorists are great sources of ideas. (mixinglight.com)
- A Filmmaker's introduction to Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning - the buzzwords at NAB 2018 were AI and ML. This Insight is an introduction to those terms (for filmmakers). Learn how to put those buzzwords in context; and how they inform you about the technology being discussed. (mixinglight.com)
- [video] The Cake Server - a guy likes cake so much he makes a Rube Goldberg machine to serve it. You will laugh More than once. (youtube.com)
- [video] The Cake Server Secrets Revealed - go behind the scenes to see how they did that. More fun. Worth the follow-up. (youtube.com)
- Tracking Down
The Original Locations Of Vinyl Covers - photographer Alex Bartsch spent 10 years scouring London looking for the original locations for some of the most famous reggae record albums. Fun. Impressive. (demilked.com)
Current Colorist Control Surface Drivers
- [video] DaVinci Resolve’s eGPU-Accelerated Timeline Performance And Exports - "as you’ll see, an eGPU can turn a MacBook Pro — a machine that may struggle editing in DaVinci Resolve on its own — into a capable editing machine."
- Jeff Foster's NAB show 2018 Wrap-Up - a great read for Gear Heads. (provideocoalition.com)
- Sony Venice Review -
"Despite the uphill battle, I believe with the right amount of exposure, the Venice provides enough competitive features and course corrections from real world feedback to re-instill hope in the company and the future of their cinema offerings." Includes sample frames for download. (dorkinatent.com)
- Flexible Displays are here so why can't they fold? - "Foldable displays may be one thing, but getting the other components that make up the device stack to fold an equal number of times, with equal reliability is a real
- AMD Ryzen CPU:
2nd generation arrives soon - "the second generation of its Ryzen processors will be available worldwide April 19, to offer users faster and smoother computing experiences." (provideocoalition.com)
- NAB 2018: Where do we go from here? - "The central and north halls had light traffic most of the time, but the south halls were jammed with visitors to numerous booths promoting video compression and streaming." Another
interesting analysis of this year's conference. (displaydaily.com)
- Photoshop CC
2018 Nvidia GeForce GPU performance - "a number of developments have occurred that made us what to re-do this testing." Includes a link to download their Photoshop benchmark for you to run on your system - and compare results. (pugetsystems.com)
- NAB Wrap-up: 8K,
E-Sports, Full-Frame Cameras, HDR - and goggles-free immersion. (studiodaily.com)
DaVinci Resolve 14 Quickstart
FREE (like YouTube)
=> 5+ hours of downloadable video tutorials. At the
same price as YouTube (but no commercials)
=> Includes a :60 spot for you to follow along; because you want to start using DaVinci Resolve with minimum fuss in minimum time.
=> Part 1 of our two-part Introduction to Resolve 14 Certification series
- [video] Pucker up! Views on Lip Art Videos up 44% in Q4 2017 - "a total of 58 million total views on roughly 169 lip art videos uploaded from October through December." Click through for a compilation of lipstick videos. (tubularinsights.com)
- [video] Fooling online users with dark patterns - is your Publisher foolish for demanding the web designer NOT do these type of things with MixingLight.com? (kottke.org)
Th- Th- That's ALL Folks! We'll see you next week.
13,550'ish Stories Shared
The Book Shelf
- The Definitive Guide to DaVinci Resolve 14: Editing, Color and Audio - just released book by Blackmagic Design as an introduction to the app, with downloadable media to follow along. Your Tao Publisher is a contributing author. (amazon.com)
- Color Correction Handbook, Updated - Alexis Van Hurkman has updated his Color
Correction Handbook, which has set the standard for learning all things color correction. (amazon.com)
- Color Correction Look Book - This
is the second part of the Color Correction Handbook, exploring the creative techniques for over 200 different visual looks. A sort-of recipe book for colorists. (amazon.com)
- The Art and Technique of Digital Color Correction - Read how a dozen different colorists grade the same footage with the same gear, differently. A fantastic approach to learning the craft of color grading by Steve Hullfish. (amazon.com)
- Color Grading with Avid and Symphony - Written for version 6. Fully applicable to version 7. I was a contributor. (amazon.com)
- Digital Cinematography: Fundamentals, Tools, Techniques and Workflows - Don't let the title fool you. I'm only a third way through this book and its explanations of how digital images are recorded, sampled and viewed is essential knowledge for anyone who's craft intersects with digital images. Not light reading. But not filled with math either. I highly recommend this book. (amazon.com)
Have a book you think should be in this list? Reply to this email and let me know!
FCC Disclaimer: Links in this email to Amazon.com, B&H Photo, or ToolFarm are Affiliate links that help support the TaoOfColor.com. FSI is a paid sponsor. Tao of Color, Inc. is part owner of MixingLight.com—which
is a sponsor. BlackMagic Design is sometimes a client.
We thank you for your support.
Colorist, Coach: TaoOfColor.com | MixingLight.com