If I could give one thing to remember out of all of the 200+ emails I've sent, it is to just keep....pushing.....onwards.
Build good foundations...
Add on tiny habits like bricks, stack them neatly on top of each other, one at a time on a good foundation of knowledge.
Our conscious brain lives in the moment, is rational and problem solving. However it is the subconscious that leads our behaviour.
To make a change (as we all tend to do this time of year!) we need to change the foundations and re-arrange the bricks...when needed.
Good habits already in place should stay in place, think of it as renovating your lifestyle.
With good planning and knowledge plus a good chunk of consistency we can transform our bodies and minds:
- choose ONE thing to focus on a week
- be kind on yourself if you deviate...that's life!
- start a fitness journal, write down what you eat, activity and, MOST importantly, how you feel.
- be mindful of your mood, if wake up a bit grumpy review the previous days entry...you will quickly see a pattern on mood levels linked to food choices and activity. Done right this is dynamite!
- be strong minded and shrug off negative thoughts...it is NEVER as bad as it seems
- share your challenges and failures with trusted people. Community=success!
- be ridiculously happy with the smallest of changes, this sends a really strong message to your subconscious. WORK those success muscles!
The first step of that extra walk this evening, the first jarring step of your first attempt at a run, that extra portion of fish, that extra glass of water and that second rep of a heavy deadlift ALL push you forward.
Little increments of new habits should lead to the next.
A new book read, emailed opened, conversation with a PT can be a course correction that will have a massive impact in 5 years.
Trust the process and love the journey..nothing is more important than YOUR health so keep at it.
Step by step, rep by rep, plate by plate..